Thinking about the TV show SUPERNATURAL and its apocalyptic vision. The two central characters are born in Lawrence, KS because of its proximity to Stull cemetery, rumored to be a gateway to Hell. In the series, Lawrence bears little resemblance to the real Lawrence, KS, and Stull cemetery looks nothing like it does in real life. But the basis of the show seems plausible enough. So I’ve come up with a list of scenarios Lawrence could be the basis for.
Ways the apocalypse could start in Lawrence, KS:
1. An infected monkey with the mark of the devil has drinks at The Replay.
2. A brick falls from the top floor of the Eldridge, knocking out a bearded singer of a local band. He is taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. The brick jars loose psychic powers that threaten existence as we know it.
3. A horde of demons manifest at The Bourgeois Pig. Fueled by nihilistic philosophy and Moscow Mules, all hell breaks loose.
4. An anthropology professor discovers that the Jawhawk is an ancient symbol of the Otherworld. The Jayhawk, when combined with the consumption of alcohol, produces rambunctious behavior in the locals with one inevitable cataclysmic outcome. Apocalypse!
5. A rabid rodent bites a homeless man camping out underneath the bridge. The man runs amok downtown, inciting a real-life Zombie Walk.
6. An attractive KU student is hit by a car while crossing Mass. St. The interesting bracelet she bought from the Antique Mall breaks open on the pavement and unleashes the dead upon the earth.
7. A dark spiritual cloud looms above Lawrence. Something like the climax to GHOSTBUSTERS happens at The Oread.
8. Native legends are always great for apocalyptic visions. The wetlands outside Haskell are paved over by developers. Think POLTERGEIST, only worldwide.
9. The OZUFO people are really space aliens, diverting from the fact by stating an interest in UFOs. Their plan is an apocalypse.
10. The witches at The Village Witch mess up a spell. Result: apocalypse!
11. One of the poets at The Red Tail Readings held at The Gaslight makes the mistake of reading a poem by e.e.cummings backward. This happens to unleash evil spirits all over the world.
12. In the basement of Liberty Hall is written a prophecy . . . of apocalypse.
13. Local burlesque act Foxy by Proxy puts on a show which causes the devil to leave Stull cemetery unattended so as to attend their show. The hordes of hell decide the time is right for an apocalypse.
14. A tattoo of the state of Kansas turns out to be able to predict the future and that future is apocalypse.